Welcome to Southmoor Academy
Welcome to Southmoor Academy. We are a large and successful 11-18 academy with a strong sense of community, aspiration and achievement. This is reflected in our motto ‘Aspire, Achieve, Enjoy’. Southmoor is one of the city’s highest performing non – faith academies and the lead sponsor within a Multi Academy Trust. Southmoor goes far beyond striving for academic excellence. It’s a school that supports personal development by providing our pupils with opportunities to explore and develop their own interests and talents. This may take the form of sport, creative arts, after school or lunchtime clubs, peer support, personal development or a wealth of regular educational visits as part of our extra – curricular commitment.
At Southmoor we pride ourselves on being a school with its heart in the community, we believe that if lessons are exciting and challenging, if young people are successful, if they are involved in their learning and in school life, then it will be the springboard to lifelong learning and the pursuit of excellence.
At Southmoor our standards and expectations are high!
Mr S. Garrett – Principal Southmoor Academy
Our Vision Statement & Ethos
- Southmoor Academy is a courageous institution which will always take decisions in the interest of the learner regardless of local and national expectations.
- The core purpose of Southmoor Academy is to provide tangible improvement in the life chances of our students, creating transformational change across generations. It is our intention that, as a result of attending Southmoor, all students will have greater life chances than their parents. To achieve this we will:
1) Challenge students to achieve beyond expectations in all areas of academy life.
2) Use every means at our disposal to ensure equality of opportunity and access to high achievement of all students regardless of social and economic background.
3) Provide a challenging GCSE-based curriculum with a balance of vocational opportunities driven by its worth to the individual student in a changing employment and higher education market and without regard to the pragmatic interests of the institution.
4) Give access to improved destinations for post-18 students through a rigorous A Level curriculum which builds coherently on the challenge of GCSE.
- We recognise that education is about more than achievement. We aim to contribute to a better society by modelling a social ideal which values caring, hard work and aspiration in everything we do. Community and individual well-being is at the heart of what we do and what we value. We are striving to create emotionally intelligent young people who will be good parents, partners and friends and whose existence will enrich the whole community.
- All our staff recognise that professional performance is not a static measure. Improvement is a moral imperative. The academy makes a huge investment in the support and challenge of its entire staff.
- As a successful academy, we are willing to take on broader systems leadership. Our rising results, early academisation and creation of a Sixth Form are all positives in challenging the broader education community to improve. We also seek, as an academy sponsor, to offer support in this improvement.