This policy complies with the statutory requirements laid out in the DfE document “Supporting pupils with medical conditions” (September 2014).
The Children and Families Act 2014 (section 100) places a duty on Directors / Governing Bodies of academies to make arrangements for supporting pupils at their school with medical conditions.
- It is the Trust’s intention that all pupils at the school with medical conditions should be properly supported so that they have full access to education, including educational visits and physical education.
- The Trust is an inclusive community that aims to support and welcome pupils with medical conditions.
- The Trust aims to provide all pupils with all medical conditions the same opportunities as others within the Trust and to ensure that all staff understand their duty of care to children and young people in the event of an emergency.
- The Trust understands that certain medical conditions are serious and can be potentially life threatening, particularly if ill managed or misunderstood.
- The Trust understands the importance of medication being taken as prescribed.
- All staff employed within the Trust understand the common medical conditions that affect children at their respective academies. Staff receive training on the impact medical conditions can have on pupils.
You can download our full Medications Policy here.